The original school on Buxton Road was established in 1848. The first stage of the new school on Reddish Road was opened in 1982 and the second stage was completed in 1986. The school now incorporates seven classrooms.
All doors are fitted with security locks for the safety of the children. Parents and visitors are asked to report to the main reception when visiting school.
Outside there is a large playground, lawns, wildlife area, attractive gardens, tyre park, forest school area, quiet seated areas, an adventure playground and an enclosed courtyard, which was made into a garden with raised beds and a greenhouse. The school is situated adjacent to Whaley Bridge Memorial Park and has the use of the playing fields and the multi-use games area for sports.
The children at Taxal and Fernilee Primary School are taught in single year group, mixed ability classes. The children are taught by a variety of methods including whole class, individual and group work, and in some instances children may be grouped according to ability depending on the lesson. It is the aim of the school however, to match the level of work to the children’s ability so that all children reach their full potential.
On occasions teachers will teach to their strengths across classes - e.g. delivering music, PE etc to other classes in addition to their own. This promotes their expertise and benefits the children. Children are encouraged to work with different children, so that they learn to work well together.